Monday, September 29, 2008

LONG
U.S. financials: 22% weight as percentage of total assets (-12.8% gain since entry Sept. 22)
Crude oil: 16% (-14.2% since entry Aug. 18)
Natural gas: 10% (-13.4% since entry Sept. 22)

SHORT
U.S. long-dated bonds: 26% (entry Sept. 29)

CASH
64%

CLOSED TRADES (on Sept. 29)
Canadian long-dated bonds: -0.6% since entry Aug. 13, 2007

Notes:
- Positions are as of the open of Sept. 29, 2008. Numbers may exceed 100% due to leveraged trades or may not equal 100% due to rounding.
- Returns on ongoing and closed trades are based on my own positions, not the underlying market prices. My own return may differ from the market return because of how well the fund I use tracks the market. In some cases, my return is based on a leveraged fund and may also include currency exchange into Canadian dollars.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do Canadian Long dated bonds have CoT data ?
How come you ae long ?

Jim
jim_taylor144 at hotmail.com

Alex Roslin said...

Hi Jim,

The Canadian bonds aren't in the COT data. I just used a bond ETF to trade that signal. Now, I'm using an inverse U.S. bond for the bearish signal.

Regards,
Alex

Alex Roslin said...

Oops - that should say "an inverse U.S. bond ETF."

Alex

Anonymous said...

Alex,

thanks for the reply.

So you got a bearish signal for US bonds (based on CoT) and shorted Canadian Bonds.

1. Is that correct ?
2. If so, why canadian ?

thanks
Jim
jim_taylor144 at hotmail.com

Alex Roslin said...

Hi Anonymous,

The previous signal for that closed trade was a bullish signal for the 10-year U.S. Treasury. I traded that signal with a Canadian bond ETF because I am based in Canada and that was the most convenient way to do it in one of my accounts at the time.

Regards,
Alex